VALID: VALE Academic Libraries Information Discovery
A VALE Open Library Systems team has been working on a new vision for the VALE consortium, one in which New Jersey academic libraries would, where possible, unify policies, collaborate in their operations, and work to provide a sum greater than their parts. Part of this vision is the adoption of a shared, open-source, library system that will allow us to coordinate and support online services delivered at the network level yet decrease our reliance on commercial system vendors. Since 2007 VALE members have evaluated several open-source library products, including Evergreen and Koha, and determined that the efforts and potential of OLE are most aligned with this vision for VALE’s future.
VALID Project UPDATES
On November 14, 2014 Carl Grant, Associate Dean of Knowledge Services and Chief Technology Office at the University of Oklahoma Libraries spent the day with a team of VALE-VALID participants to provide a vision for the future of the project. Read the executive summary and full report here.
On November 17, 2014 Liz Bishoff, a recognized authority on library digital initiatives, spent the date with a team of VALE-VALID participants to work on a roadmap for an organizational structure for the project. Read the executive summary and full report here.
VALID Project is committed to the following objectives:
- Participate in a shared, community-developed, next-generation library system that is efficient and easy to use for no more than the cost of what one would pay for a stand-alone legacy ILS.
- Offer users an online system that allows both resource discovery and direct borrowing across the combined holdings of member institutions. Users may borrow materials directly from member libraries by requesting them through the system and have them delivered to their own library
- Standardize how we acquire, catalog and loan materials in order to improve resource sharing and promote discovery of unique collections
- Benefit from new products developed by the OLE user community responding to its individual and collective needs, and from the ability of VALE to adapt these products to its goals and ends
- Benefit from new products developed by the OLE user community responding to its individual and collective needs, and from the ability of VALE to adapt these products to its goals and ends.
VALID Project Resources
- VALID Mission, Objectives, and Principles
- VALID Charter
- VALID Goverance
- VALID FAQ
- VALID News
- VALID Logos
- VALID Annual Report
- VALID Steering
- VALID Implementation Taskforce
- View more information about the VALE Open Library Systems Project.
- View more information about the VALE OLE Project.
Taras Pavlovsky, VALE VALID Steering Committee Chair
Ann Hoang, VALE VALID Implementation Taskforce Chair
|Carl Grant Workshop - Full summary||462.55 KB|
|Liz Bishoff Workshop - Full summary||297.74 KB|
|Carl Grant Workshop - Executive summary||271.89 KB|
|Liz Bishoff Workshop - Executive summary||185.92 KB|